One Word + Goals for 2015
Saying goodbye to 2014 leaves me with mixed emotions. There’s so many amazing things that happened and goals that I achieved for myself that I want to remember, but then there’s some real emotion punches to the gut that I’d like to leave behind. Some that are chapters I’m anxious to close the door to and others might be gone, but definitely never forgotten. In 2014, I said goodbye to people I never expected to have to let go of, I watched a best friend and a grandmother walk through the heartache of fresh loss and another grandmother walk through her second year without the love of her life by her side. I also said goodbye to a best friend and her family as they moved to El Salvador to be missionaries for 2 years. It truly makes you think about the value of life and how often we take for granted all the little moments. The countless minutes we let slide by lost in thought instead of being present. For those we’ve lost in 2014, I refuse to close the door and move forward from, but bring their memory with me to serve as a strong reminder to love hard, cherish it all and be the best I can be each and every day.
Last Sunday the pastor at the church we went to talked about revelations, but the one thought that stuck out to me was when he challenged us to think about what people would say about us if we were to pass. Like a punch to the gut, this really made me think about how I want to be remembered and it’s spurring my word for 2015. STRETCH
- Cause (someone) to make maximum use of their talents or abilities
- Adapt or extend the scope of (something) in a way that exceeds a reasonable or acceptable limit.
I want to challenge myself this year to spread my wings and allow God to use the gifts and talents He’s given me. I want to be a better leader in my business, a better wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister, chef, more health conscious, better problem solver. I want to be stretched to learn new things, do things I wouldn’t do, even if I’m not good at it, take more risks, listen more, find ways to be the best version of myself I can be.
Will I be perfect? Gosh I hope not! But I hope that I give myself the opportunity for success within each new thing I try. I’m learning a positive outlook can go a long way. Often times I enjoy being in my “box.” Doing things in my everyday routine and I don’t like that routine to get ruffled. But part of being stretched is being willing to approach each new day and each new thing as it comes. And instead of allowing myself to get frustrated, accept life as it comes.
15 Goals for 2015
- Learn to cook something exotic
- Take a stranger out to lunch and pay
- Write more blog posts on business tips and strategies
- Speak at a conference about Finding and Maintaining balance
- Continue to grow our business
- Cook through the cookbooks my Nana + Grandma have written
- Be more romantic – take the lead and plan some fun date nights
- Write letters (yes with pen and paper)
- Put down my phone more
- Let go of my insecurities and be proud of my successes
- Work out 3 or more times a week
- Take a trip someplace new
- Read more books
- Kiss my husband and kids more
- Check in with people I love by phone not just text messages
Top 5 Posts from 2014
- Making Homemade Artisan Bread
- Local Nods – Portola Coffee Lab
- Blueberry Banana Dutch Baby Breakfast
- Style: It’s in the Bag!
- Red Balloons for Ryan
How’s 2015 shaping up for you? Have you chosen your one little word? Have you set goals for yourself?
Will you share them with me?