The Best Homemade Flour Tortillas
Y’all I’m a carbs girl, I ain’t gonna lie. I swear I was raised on bread and rice, it was the perfect combination of the Asian and the Italian in me. Of course, this Asian/Italian babe loves her Mexican food and decided to try my hand at making my own flour tortillas. I kid you not when I tell you these tortillas will have you reaching for the next one the second you’re done with the first. Want to know the secret ingredient that makes them taste so good? Keep reading because I’m about to share….
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: about 30 minutes
MAKE: 12-15 tortillas
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 3 cups of Flour (I used Unbleached white)
- 1 teaspoon or fine or kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons of Armour Premium All-Natural Lard (secret ingredient alert!!)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup warm water
Now before y’all go getting cranky at me about using Lard, let me tell you what makes this ingredient so fabulous. First of all it’s all natural, meaning the only ingredient is lard. It is gluten free, has zero trans fats and will lower your LDL cholesterol. So, not only is it one of the healthier cooking fats, it’s also a better source of monounsaturated fats than butter, coconut and corn oil! It also makes my tortillas flaky and light, which is the perfect texture for a flour tortilla.
Let’s get stated, shall we?
- Add flour, salt, baking powder to a medium size bowl and mix with a fork
- Add Armour Premium All-Natural Lard to your mix and use your hands or a pastry blender to mix it in well
- Add warm water, mix with hands, cover with a dish towel and let it sit for 5-10 minutes
- Be sure to flour your surface before removing dough from bowl. Knead dough and cut into 12 smaller pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each dough ball to flatten. You can decide how thick you want your tortillas, I like my thin so I tend to really roll them out
- Using a pancake pan or griddle, heat your tortillas til you see it starting to turn a little bit brown on one side, then flip. Usually takes about 2-3 minutes per side
- Place your tortillas on a plate and cover with dish towel to keep them warm and soft
- Serve warm!
How delicious do these flour tortillas look?! We’ve made them several times over the last couple of weeks. While you can get Armour Lard at many locations, you can only pick up the Armour Premium All-Natural Lard at Walmart. Looks like I gave you a reason to go shopping, you’re welcome! 😉
Have you baked or cooked with lard before? What was your experience like?