Addicted to Lasagna
I’m a huge lover of Italian food. It’s in my blood and while I try to avoid eating too much pasta, some things are worth all the carbs that come with it. Lasagna is one of those for me. If you would’ve told me, even 6 months ago, that I would attempt to make my own lasagna from scratch I would’ve laughed at you. But as this passion and enjoyment for cooking grows I find myself wanting to experiment with cooking dishes I would’ve otherwise avoided. Lasagna, being one of them.
I decided to bite the bullet and create a delicious lasagna that incorporated fresh and healthy ingredients. All the ingredients I used can be purchased at your local Sprouts grocery store, many of which are organic, fresh and even gluten free. While it may seem like a lot to put together, I found that prepping all the ingredients and making them look pretty so you wouldn’t gag while reading this post took much longer than putting the dish together. I would say that your ingredient prep time is about 15 minutes, then about 10 to put the dish together with all the layers and then 1 hour to cook.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Precooked gluten free lasagna noodles
- Ground Turkey
- 32 oz Ricotta Cheese (I used and recommend a low fat option)
- Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 1 can Organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 jars of Tomato Sauce
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- Fresh Basil
Let’s Get Started:
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet pan, cook your ground turkey, being sure to break it up as it cooks into smaller pieces.
- While your turkey is cooking, chop your onions and basil, mince your garlic and grate 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and all your mozzarella cheese and set them aside.
- In a 9×13 pan, begin by adding a layer of sauce along the bottom of the pan. Make sure you get sauce all the way into the corners.
- Next you’re going to lay 6 of your precooked lasagna noodles down on top of the sauce you just poured, overlapping the noodles slightly
- Add a layer of Ricotta cheese followed by Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese. Then I sprinkled chopped shallots and fresh basil on top of my cheese.
- The next layer is sauce! I mixed my tomato sauce with my cooked turkey so I could spread them together.
- After adding the layer of sauce and ground turkey, add another layer of lasagna noodles.
- Now you’re going to repeat step 6 by adding ricotta cheese, mozzarella and parmesan. Then sprinkle more chopped shallots and fresh basil.
- Add another layer of sauce and then more cheese, basil and your minced garlic to round out your top layer. Can’t you already smell all those fresh ingredients together? At this point my house was smelling wonderful and I hadn’t even started cooking!
- Cover your lasagna with tinfoil and cook at 350 for 40 minutes. Then remove the tinfoil and cook for another 20 minutes or until your cheese is a golden brown color.
Voila, Bon Appetite!
Whose ready for a slice of lasagna?